Saturday, October 16, 2010

Guest Post:: American River Bike Trail in Folsom

[This is a guest post from a friend who lives in California]
Perfect weather yesterday – so I hit the bike trail. I’m going medium pace, and a guy with no helmet in a yellow jersey passes me. About 10 miles in I see a new person hop on the trail up ahead.  He is wearing a skater helmet and riding a older road bike with shifters on the drops.  Skater helmet quickly comes up on yellow jersey guy.   Yellow jersey picks up the pace but is no match for skater helmet and goes way ahead.  I eventually pass yellow jersey. About 4 miles later who do I come up on but skater helmet, who is not going as fast as I thought he would be.  Here I realize skater helmet is probably in high school, with a lot to prove. We’re going 18 on the flats, and much less on the small hills (he has to stand for every one – maybe because of the shifters that went out of style in the 80’s?)  I am on his wheel for about 3 miles, waiting to pass.  I think maybe we should trade off leading, but I don’t think that is skater helmets style.  I know as soon as I pass skater helmet will see that as a race – and affront to his manhood. I really just don’t want to be stuck behind him anymore. Finally – I am fully rested up -  “on your left” I say and quickly ramp up to about 23mph.  Skater helmet – who’d been happily cruising along at 18mph, picks up the pace.  24, 25 … skater helmet’s shadow is still there – hanging on.  Down a hill 26, 27 .. skater helmet trying to still hang on.  Since we’re on the bike path – there is no way out.  No “other road” to take to save face.  I see the trail flatten out – skater helmet is fading fast.  After the first small hill – he is nowhere to be seen.   Winner! :)   Definitely the highlight of my day.

-CABikeNoob
 

No comments:

Post a Comment